Julien Lanoo is a Belgian photographer. He looks at the architectural world with a deep understanding of its historical and social layers as well as the visible and intangible connections between nature, light and materiality.
Lanoo’s photographic career has covered such topics and fields as architecture, design, social integration, urban transformations and their dwellers.
His work has been exhibited widely, including the Venice Architecture Biennale, the Chicago Architecture Biennial, the Cité de l’architecture in Paris, and the Deutsches Architekturmuseum, among others. He co-authored, together with Julien de Smedt, the book “Built Unbuilt” revisiting 16 years of JDSA’s work, and most recently his photographs appeared in “The Vitra Campus: Architecture Design Industry”. His never-ending search for the intricate relationship between the human being and his surroundings, a central subject in his photographs, was presented in 2018 as In[Cognitus], a monographic exhibition at the WAAO in Lille, France. In 2021, his studio was named ‘World’s best architecture photography studio’ at the A+Firm Awards, organized by Architizer.
« Architizer Firm award fo Photography 2021 »
– World’s best architecture photography studio.
Lectures, Books and Exhibitions
« Novartis Campus - Pavillon »
– AMDL CIRCLE & Michele De Lucchi - Christoph Merian Verlag
« Sliver Lecture Series »
– Lecture at the IoA - Institute of Architecture, die Angewandte
« Joyful Architecture »
– Deutsches Architekturmuseum DAM, Exhibition participation, May 2019, Frankfurt, Germany
« Typecasting - An Assembly of Iconic, Forgotten and New Vitra Characters »
– Vitra Catalogue in conjunction with the exhibition curated by Robert Stadler at Milan Design Week
« La Maison Delcourt, le chef d'oeuvre caché de Richard Neutra »
– WAAO, Centre d'architecture et d’urbanisme, Lille, France – Solo Exhibition
« AAU School of Architecture: “Why do we build if not for humans? »
– I perceive this not only on a social level, but also visually. For me, architecture is a reflection of a community.” – Lecture, San Francisco, USA
« Focus: Built Unbuilt, Julien De Smedt et Julien Lanoo »
– La Cité de l'architecture & du patrimoine, Lecture and Roundtable with Francis Rambert, Paris, France
« 394 Broadway - Built Unbuilt »
– book presentation – NY, USA
« InCognitus »
– Solo exhibition at WAAO - Centre d'architecture et d’urbanisme – Lille, France
« Built Unbuilt by Julien De Smelt and Julien Lanoo »
– Frame Publishers
-The book BUILT UNBUILT revisits 16 years of Julien De Smedt’s work from the inception of the architectural practice PLOT with Bjarke Ingels in 2001 to the work of JDSA and the founding of the design studio Makers With Agendas with William Ravn in 2013.
« ESA Saint Luc Tournai »
– Jury member, 2017
– 25 Renovated Neighborhoods, Edited by Aha-Paris
– Architecture Design Industry, Edited by Mateo Kries